Thursday, June 16, 2011

Saludos desde Guatemala!

Hello everyone!

Greetings from Guatemala, the Land of Eternal Spring! Its very nice to leave 102 degree weather and have the pilot say that the temperature is now 78 degrees. B-e-a-utiful.

Its good to be back. Very good to be back. This time, I have my dear friend Katie coming with me. Its her first time out of the country, so its very refreshing to see her reactions to things that seem so new to her. I'm trying to determine what it is like to be here for the fourth time. The only thing I can come up with is that it seems like I've been here forever. Then again, after we got here to Christian Horizons (the group home, and where we're staying), I slept for 12 hours.

But being here in Guatemala is just like it has always been. Nothing has changed, except the Chavo is not here, which is sad. This is the first time I've been here without the Chavo, so my translator/driver/planner/confidante is missing. But now I get to play translator to Katie, who I'm sure is very worried at how this summer is going to turn out at this point. But it will all be fine.

As my dad asked last night, "How's it like to be back home?" My only response can be, "Its like I never left".

Guatemala is Guatemala.

My chapines friends are still awesome.

Spanish is still confusing, but a little better.

The Rojas are still awesome.

And God is still very, very good.

2 comments:

  1. It's been quite the ride so far. But I think I'll be able to handle it...I hope. I've learned so much just in the past 24 hours! How to turn the oven on, how to turn the shower on, hombre en la mesa is scary, grease all pans, don't flush the toilet paper, we're chillin at the base of some wicked awesome volcanoes, traffic is terrifying, and milk comes in boxes. whoo! God is good.

    ReplyDelete