Monday, February 3, 2014

Make-It Monday: Baked Pesto Chicken

Ok, so I have a couple of people asking me how I do the things that I do like crafts, cooking, baking, etc. I thought I would try to incorporate that into my blog maybe once a week or so, so here is the first segment that I would like to call "Make-It Monday". This segment will feature all sorts of different things, even some things that I may make and sell! So if you ever wanted to know how it was done, you can come here. This will also be a place where I try out different things I see on Pinterest, and let you know if they're worth their salt.

To start us off: Baked Pesto Chicken. I got this chicken recipe off of Pinterest, but you can find the full recipe on Kalyn's Kitchen, if you get confused.When I found it, I was looking for a recipe that was yummy, healthy, cheap, and quick to make. You can find all three in this recipe. All you need are chicken breasts, pesto, and mozzarella (and maybe a smidge of salt).



The recipe calls for 4 chicken breasts, but I could only find packages of 3 for some reason, so I just made sure they were really huge (Pamela Anderson-style chicken). I started by cutting the chicken breasts (Sorry, Pam) into strips and "trim the fat" which in Ginger Spice-speak means, "get rid of all the oogies." I don't like oogies in my chicken, and I especially don't like getting rid of them myself. But, I only gagged once! So in the end, you have strips of oogie-free, Pamela Anderson chicken.


You should spray your baking dish (I have a 13x9, and it worked fine) and then spread the bottom of the dish with your pesto. I just used Buitoni Pesto because I was in a hurry (read as: I'm lazy), but I'm sure you could make your own pesto and use it just as well. After you spread the pesto, lay your strips of chicken in the pan, and cover them with pesto as well! Whoa crazy!




Then cover with foil and put into the oven for maybe 25-ish minutes. You're not looking for it to cook all the way through or it will be overcooked by the time you add the cheese. With that said, take your chicken out of the oven and sprinkle with some low-fat mozzarella cheese, and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes on bake. After baking for 5 more minutes to melt the cheese, switch it over to broil to brown the cheese a little bit (maybe 4-5 minutes).

Then Ta-Da!!! All done!



Chavo and I really liked this recipe, it was fast, quick, and healthy. It maybe took me 45 minutes to make it, including cutting up the chicken to start off with. I'll definitely be making it again. I added a tiny bit of salt to mine, which really enhanced the flavor, but Chavo didn't add anything to his. Definitely a win! I hope you enjoy making this at home. I'm off to go find some more recipes!

See you next whenever!

1 comment:

  1. I ADORE pesto. ADORE. Jessums dislikes it. (too bad for him methinks) I wonder how many carbs this has... I've been looking for more low carb recipes to use...

    ReplyDelete