Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fun times with El Chavo

Well, I'm back. I put off doing a blog the day after I got back to hang out with my super-awesome family. Got to get lunch with Mama, my Aunt, and my Mimi. It was pretty snazzy.

But this last weekend was awesome. I left college at 11:30 with my snacks to make myself feel better about eating healthy.


And drove the 7 hours to the Seminary. As soon as I got there, Chavo and I headed downtown because there was an Art Festival. We got pizza and watched Better than Ezra perform!


That Saturday, we spent the ENTIRE day at Six Flags. We rode a bunch of the big roller coasters. We rode the Titan, which was both of our favorites. The Superman ride scared me to death, so after that, we left. But like I said, we were there all day (from 10 am to 5 pm). And being the absentminded redhead that I am, I forgot sunscreen and got veeeeeeery sunburned.


See that super-white line on my left shoulder? Yeah, that's skin. And before you fuss at me, 4 other people already have: Chavo, Mama, Mimi, and my doctor. Yeah, the last one was really grumpy at me about my sunburn. But hey! I forgot. It happens. You ever forget? It happened to me.

That night, I didn't want to move anywhere or touch anything, so we went to Barnes & Noble. And I sat there and read about 10 magazines. And it was glorious.

And wanting to be able to spread out, I slept on an air mattress in the middle of the living room of a very awesome lady who also does missions in Guatemala! She was really cool to talk to. She's also in the Master Chorale with the Chavo. I got the privilege of watching them sing in a Master Chorale concert on Sunday night, but I'm getting too ahead of myself.

Sunday morning, we went to church. There was a painter there that painted a really awesome mural of the Resurrection. I wish I could remember his name, and I really wish I could tell you more about the painting. But I was just coming out of a bout of sun poisoning and don't remember much about that morning. But afterwards, we got fajitas for lunch and relaxed until the concert that night.

The concert was about 45 minutes away from the seminary. So Chavo, nice lady that housed me, and I, went to this "Whites Chapel". It was the biggest, whitest chapel I've ever seen. It was in a Methodist church, and it was gigantic. However, finding parking was a nightmare. I dropped off nice lady and Chavo at the front so that they wouldn't be late to rehearse, and I took off to find parking. I must have made 2 laps around the church before I found "The Land of Milk and Parking".

And when I walked into the church, I walked directly into a handbell rehearsal. Perfect.

But the concert.... was incredible.


They did Mozart's Requiem and all sorts of things. It was awesome. It was all in Latin, and my tuchus fell asleep, but I was very impressed. They're going to New York in May, and it's going to be SAH-WEET.

Look at the Chavo in his snazzy tuxedo!

But it was an awesome weekend. I even got to see Chavo play his trumpet in his Master class before I left for my parents' house. It was really cool. And after the class and lunch at Central Market (DELICIOUSNESS!!!!!) I left Ft. Worth and said my goodbyes. And I also got to see this gem of an awkward billboard.


What a great deal on being cremated?!

The weekend was great, and I got to do some pretty awesome things. My sunburn is still healing, but its all good. I'm ready to go back!

P.S. I almost forgot to tell y'all. Maybe you won't find this near as cool as I did, but there's this one gas station in Longview that I always stop at. Its the Texas Smokehouse. Its kind of the coolest gas station ever. Not only does it have a Sonic and sell beef jerky of about a billion flavors, it has this.


 "So what, Ginger Spice?" you're probably thinking. Well, that delicious red bottle on the right is Rosa de Jamica. The most delicious tea ever. And I've never been able to find it bottled in the US. That white bottle on the left is Horchata, which is pretty awesome too. But rosa de jamaica is the best. By far.

2 comments:

  1. They charge you a THOUSAND dollars just to burn you to ashes?? Seriously?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally found the sunburn pic on google images. I thought, surely she jests... Oh man. That's awesome sauce. You're so white!! (and i mean that in the most loving way ;)

    ReplyDelete